Friday, June 14, 2013

Thinking Through Assessment Chapters 5 & 6


Chapter 5 – Assessing and Teaching Developing Readers

This chapter begins by pointing out the pitfalls of using one method of teaching reading to the exclusion of all others. If you only teach one method of reading you end up with “word-callers” who have no sense of what the passage they just read means.  Phonics must be taught in conjunction with other reading strategies not in isolation or students will not become effective readers and writers because many phonics programs focus on the rules and not on decoding.

The chapter also informed me of something I was doing wrong and had no idea! I make Cloze activities all the time for my reading and Latin students but never knew that you are supposed to delete every fifth word. I would just choose words at random or words they were having trouble with to help focus on them.

I engage my students in a lot of retelling, even though I didn’t know what it was called. I must often employ this tactic with poetry and pair up students who groan whenever I say Plath with the students who look like they are going to stand up and clap. This pairing allows the enthusiastic student to give an impassioned reading and heighten the enjoyment of the listening student. I also do a summarizing activity called ‘60 Second Shakespeare’ in which students get up individually or in groups of two to act out the previous night’s reading of whatever Shakespeare play we are working on.  The must act out the whole reading in under sixty seconds and they are allowed to speak. Some of the most eager student involvement I have ever seen is the day after we read Caesar’s death scene. They all wanted to act that out.

Students must increase their time spent reading. The book shows multiple studies that just reiterate what most educators know, kids who don’t read outside of school are behind kids who do. I try to encourage reading outside of school by assigning booktalks once a month for all of my students. They must get up and give a three minute presentation on a book they read FOR FUN. Not for another class or for me but for enjoyment. These booktalks help students see a myriad of genres and styles and find books they like to read.

 

Chapter 6- Informal Assessments of Reading

Informal Reading Inventories are very flexible and show many variations of what students are capable of. I love that the chapter broke down each step in detail and then included a handy summary for refreshing your mind right before you give an assessment.

The independent, Instructional and Frustration levels seem to fall within the Zone of proximal development theory. I like this it ties together many reading I have done over the course of an almost obscenely extensive education.

I don’t like to put reading levels directly on books. I think at the higher grades it discourages lower readers from reading (the shame factor) and encourages higher readers to read lower level books (the laziness factor).

I like the way the book says to talk about lexile levels but parents and students inevitably want to know what grade it matches up with and sometimes I find it easier not to throw the lexile number at them unless the news is positive. Should I tell parents every bit of testing information? I think sometimes more information will do more harm than good.

I love portfolios for my reading classes to show them how far they have come and all the cool stuff they have done throughout the year. This chapter gave me some great ideas on how to better organize them! I think portfolios show more about student achievement than an end of the year exam because exams have so many variables like students health that day, test anxiety, change of environment, and students home environment. Once again I love that summary list! The suggestion of photocopying the best work from multiple portfolios to use as examples was something I had not thought of before.

I like the idea of parental input and parent conferences about portfolios but I am not sure I could get all the parents in my district to go along with it. I know for a fact that some of my students live on their own or with siblings, grandparents or foster parents who may or may not have the time or the inclination to participate in their education on that level. What happens if I send a paper home for a foster parent to fill out and he laughs and says, “I don’t have to do any damn homework anymore” and won’t fill it out? Or if I send one home to a grandmother who is doing her best to raise her grandchildren but was never taught to read? I will have just alienated guardians and students. I think I will stick with the student/teacher and student/student conferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment